Producers of Alec Baldwin’s infamous film “Rust” denied allegations on Thursday that they ignored gun safety measures before the tragic shooting that led to Halyna Hutchins’ death.
Baldwin and several other producers on the film filed a court motion saying that they “did not ‘willfully’ violate any safety protocol” and “enforced all applicable safety protocols,” reported the BBC.
According to the document, “any actors handling guns received sufficient training, and assistant directors were instructed to hold safety meetings on days when firearms were used.”
The document filed by the film’s producers state that a meeting did indeed take place on the day of the shooting.
Rust Movie Productions also said that the film’s armorer, Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, was not overburdened by her duties as both armorer and props assistant.
According to the production company, Gutierrez-Reed’s duties as armorer “always took precedence” but on that specific day, she didn’t do her job properly.
Lawyers for Gutierrez-Reed slammed the report, saying that it was “not provided adequate time or resources to conduct her job effectively, despite her voiced concerns.”
“As we have stated before, had anyone from production called Hannah back into the church before the scene to consult with her, this tragedy would have been prevented,” they said.
Last month, the New Mexico Environment Department levied a fine of $136,793 against the film.
Baldwin has since claimed he’s been “exonerated” in Hutchins’ death.